Proposition A is an important ballot measure to amend San Francisco's Charter, and if passed would create safeguards for retiree health benefits already earned by City employees. Prop A will secure the Retiree Healthcare Trust Fund (RHCTF) so that contributions set aside for retiree health care cannot be raided by the City for other purposes.
Firefighters, nurses, police officers, and City employees will benefit from Prop A, because it will make sure San Francisco meets its commitment to provide health care for retirees. In addition, the city of San Francisco will greatly benefit, and so will its residents. By fixing our $4.4 billion unfunded retiree Health Care liability, passing Prop A will allow financial stability for generations to come.
Without increasing employee contributions, and without reducing retiree health care benefits, Prop A is the right choice for retirees and the right choice for the citizens of San Francisco.
To honor our commitment to San Francisco’s retirees:
- Prop A prevents the City from raiding the Retiree Health Care Trust Fund for uses other than paying retiree healthcare benefits.
- Prop A eliminates our City’s $4.4 billion liability in about 30 years.
- Prop A switches from a pay-as-you-go model, to a fully-funded model to pay for retiree health care costs now and in the future.
- Prop A will result in major cost savings for San Francisco, future tax payers, and employees, as pre-funded assets earn investment income that will be used to pay portions of the benefit costs.
- Prop A makes sure that we don't shift costs to future generations.
- Prop A will provide major cost savings for San Francisco through responsible oversight and planning
- Prop A takes politics out of retiree healthcare
Please join our broad coalition of San Franciscans supporting Proposition A! Click here to see our full list of endorsements.
Mayor Ed Lee
Assessor Recorder Carmen Chu
District Attorney George Gascon
Supervisor John Avalos
Supervisor London Breed
Supervisor David Campos
Supervisor David Chiu
Supervisor Malia Cohen
Supervisor Mark Farrell
Supervisor Jane Kim
Supervisor Eric Mar
Supervisor Katy Tang
Supervisor Scott Wiener
Supervisor Norman Yee
BUSINESS AND LABOR
San Francisco Police Officers Association
San Francisco Firefighters Local 798
IFPTE Local 21
San Francisco Chamber of Commerce
San Francisco Council of District Merchants Association
Building Owners and Managers Association of San Francisco
Small Business Network
Coalition for Responsible Growth
Municipal Executives Association
Alliance for Jobs and Sustainable Growth
Committee on Jobs
UA Local 38
San Francisco Deputy Sheriff’s Association
San Francisco Veteran Police Officers Association
LiUNA! Laborers Local 261
San Francisco Democratic Party
San Francisco Republican Party
Alice B. Toklas LBGT Democratic Club
Harvey Milk LBGT Democratic Club
City Democratic Club
FDR Democratic Club
Protect Our Benefits
Retired Employees of the City and County of San Francisco
Raoul Wallenberg Jewish Democratic Club
Westside Chinese Democratic Club
Asian Pacific Democratic Club
Potrero Hill Democratic Club
District 3 Democratic Club
District 11 Democratic Club
San Francisco Young Democrats
Noe Valley Democratic Club
Chinese American Democratic Club